back to Job Opportunities
Major Gifts Officer
Valley of the Sun United Way
Position Summary:The individual in this position is a member of the major gifts team in the Resource Development department and is responsible for managing a major gifts portfolio of Tocqueville Society and other major gift donors. The Major Gifts Officer will support the major gifts program through the identification, cultivation, retention, and development of mid-level major gift ($50,000+) donor prospects in the community and/or in the workplace.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: • Build extensive relationships with high level community and business leaders, volunteers and United Way staff on a year round basis. The vast majority of donors will be cultivated for a mid-level major gift ($50,000+), with specific emphasis on developing this segment. Carries a small portfolio of Tocqueville Society donors as a prospect pool to cultivate from annual giving to major giving. • Maintain and appropriately manage database of potential members and donors to maximize prospecting efforts and contribute to the Moves Management system. • Engage and solicit prospects and annual donors ($10,000 or more) around the work of VSUW. • Work closely with Resource Development staff in the identification, cultivation and stewardship of potential and current Tocqueville Society members ($10,000+ annually) and major gift donors ($50,000+) with gifts directed toward community objective work. • Participate in activities that contribute, directly or indirectly, to the acquisition or retention of major gift donors. • Participate in the development of the strategic plan for major gifts. • In partnership with development officers and New Business initiatives, develop leads from prospective and current major donors. • Remain current with business and community affairs by attending appropriate meetings and seminars. • Participate in monthly “Moves Management”/strategic prospect evaluations. • Participate in activities that contribute, directly or indirectly, to the expansion of our Affinity Groups and Volunteerism program • Meet and exceed new major donor retention, financial goals and metrics contacts.
Education Requirements: • Bachelor’s degree.
• At least 5 years nonprofit resource development experience or related field in a for-profit environment, and proven fundraising experience with higher-end donors.
Experience Requirements: • Sales and customer service background helpful.
• Strong research ability, excellent written and oral presentation and communication skills.
• Comfortable and fluent in a variety of social situations; high degree of executive presence.
• Strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
• Proven track record for presenting a case and securing a gift.
• Demonstrated skills of creativity, resourcefulness and strategic thinking.
• Demonstrated strengths in efficiency, timeliness, multi-tasking, and attention-to-detail.
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues while accepting ultimate responsibility for assigned tasks and efforts.
• Commitment to continuous improvement.
• Team player with proven conflict resolution skills.
• Highly motivated self-starter.
Category: Major Gifts Staff
Date Posted: June 3, 2014
Application Deadline: November 1, 2014
Apply online now
* Cover letter required
* Resume required
Valley of the Sun United Way
1515 E. Osborn Road Phoenix AZ 85014-5318
Fax: (602) 631-4809